"...it's not the training to be mean but the training to be kind that is used to keep us leashed best." ~ Black Dog Red

"In case you haven't recognized the trend: it proceeds action, dissent, speech." ~ davidly, on how wars get done

"...What sort of meager, unerotic existence must a man live to find himself moved to such ecstatic heights by the mundane sniping of a congressional budget fight. The fate of human existence does not hang in the balance. The gods are not arrayed on either side. Poseiden, earth-shaker, has regrettably set his sights on the poor fishermen of northern Japan and not on Washington, D.C. where his ire might do some good--I can think of no better spot for a little wetland reclamation project, if you know what I mean. The fight is neither revolution nor apocalypse; it is hardly even a fight. A lot of apparatchiks are moving a lot of phony numbers with more zeros than a century of soccer scores around, weaving a brittle chrysalis around a gross worm that, some time hence, will emerge, untransformed, still a worm." ~ IOZ

Mar 27, 2012

Not Shocked?

The human body leaves a lot to be desired. Heh, unintended bad pun. Still sick. Still wondering at the strange conviction that an allpowerfulallloving creator deity would invest so much matter into devising a fiendishly complex organism, the primary mode for which is suffering.

Anyway - in the coloring me not shocked category:

It remains entertainingly surprising that anyone is still bewildered by the observable fact that it's okay to gun down black men and get away with it, as long as the forms are obeyed and the black men in question meet the loose and nebulous criteria known as "threatening." This is only slightly more surprising than the feedback-and-self-awareness-free assertion that it's terribly wrong to buy and sell human labor, or to organize to do so for profit, until one points out that a lot of that labor is being done sexually and/or domestically by the almost-humans known as women. And then, well, obviously "free speech" and "free expression" near certainly trump the merely material conditions of women being purchased up for the "sexual" gratification of men with disposable income...

12 comments:

BDR said...

Hope you get better, please, since the world won't.

Jack Crow said...

Well, I finally have a diagnosis which explains many of my symptoms, BDR. So that's "better." If I have the "good" version, it's just a matter of avoiding stuff that causes or exacerbates inflammation.

If I have the bad version, it was fun while it lasted.

But, gratis, to you.

gamefaced said...

i was kind of amused when folks on fb started posting pictures of themselves in hoodies.

i was real amused when i started hearing chatter about the kid getting suspended for 10 days for the empty pot baggie.

i am bored to death with it all, our constant conditioning by our owners, our pimps, the man with the mic in his hand. i keep feeling there is little point, my nihilistic sides consume me.

but then i remembered how my femaleness gets the better of me, such an emotional frenzy, this week i'll be crouching over the bleed hole outside of town popping midol and feeling rabid. eventually my dreams of baby production, household cleaners, soap opera timeouts and satisfying the man, a man, will return like clockwork. we womans are just like the moons thataway.

so bossman just hired a male office worker. i've worked here ten years. guess who makes more than me, doing no where near what i do? and also, guess who isn't required so much to answer the phone? all office vaginas in this work place have to answer the phone by the second ring. new office penis, it appears, is exempt. he no have no sexy phone talk.

and this is why i feel no guilt while reading hundreds of blog posts and drafting numerous long winded mostly nonsensical comments while on company time.

ftw.

davidly said...

F'in hell, Jack, take what's behind the curtain; we know both versions suck.

I hate when people try to "relate" but: I have two ailments, the remedy of each being in large part a no-no for the other. Somehow I manage to work around it. I certainly wouldn't trade places with the subjects in your final paragraph, even if I could be done with the physical maladies. I wouldn't mind being younger. No. Scratch that. Not really.

Be as well as you can.

Nothing's shocking.

Unknown said...

Jack, I hope it’s the good version whatever that may be. Growing old isn’t for the faint of heart. I don’t know why they call it the “golden years” – should be the painful years or maybe the winter of our discontent to wax poetical. I don’t mind growing old myself I just don’t like the way my body is falling apart. Other than that I have no problem with it.

The Red Queen said...

Oh medical roulette! I know that game. I'm playing that game, RIGHT NOW. Currently we're going with the not-fatal, just incurable life time of chronic, debilitating pain and exhuastion option unless and until new symptoms show it to be the thing that House says it never is, or the thing that means blindness and wheelchairs.

Stupid bodies. Why can't I be a head in a jar? Or a cyborg?

anne said...

of the r q's comment above , ..of cy borg , .. of not yet blind nor wheeling . .. .but of jar , of my born with ..of missing in belly ..that had me missing .. of schooling , of ill ..and in some isolation in .. of ill ... , of those over whois he way .. making comments on the way i need to talk now .. .. in all of that missing .. of their suggests of .. varying on cyborg, of myself ..of what i might be .. , of a life time of side effects ..of living with and with out .. .

David K Wayne said...

Not just black men considered too "threatening" to live.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/woman-demanding-care-at-st-mary-s-hospital-is-arrested/article_ed640f3d-64a0-516c-88ff-fb770b5e9677.html

Jack Crow said...

Sentiments rec'd with gratitude.

GF,

As a bossman, I employed mostly women. Didn't see it then. See it too late, now.

davidly,

I'm hoping the accidental discovery during a chest x-ray means I've got the non-agonizing death version of this disease. Hoping, which is dumb. I have symptoms, which is not a good sign, because the "good version" is called "asymptomatic." Fucking hell, eh?

RQ,

A dream I share, as well. A metal body, I tell myself, as long as it has pain and pleasure...

anne,

I'd cyborg, if only to blog about it with an ironic lack of irony.

Mr. Kasper,

Link appreciated and a point well made. There's a whole series there on forbidden/threatening humanity, and what those margin define by their exclusion, but I'm too lazy to write it.

Jack Crow said...

Rob,

I'm okay with aging. It's going "too soon" which sort of pisses me off. And that's an arrogance I'm willing to live with - the idea that I've got cause to tell the cosmos, "fuck you, this is too soon..."

Unknown said...

I hear you, Jack. I certainly don’t want it to be too soon for you, you are a decent guy, and I’m with you on the fuck you cosmos thing, that’s sort of been my life-long philosophy. These goddamned doctors aren’t always right and hope may be stupid or not but what else do we have?

anne said...

pen jack , .. of cy borg , as those that have mentioned over at whois he .. , most not unkind , and also making some mention of the odd poetic of , .. but somehow in using that word .. seem to miss something of their own cyborging .. of physical abilities being extended by technology in just writing there and more .. but in being more .. common .. in the way they go about ..because of their more of .. schooling and more of ..around others ,of the effect that has .. .