"...it's not the training to be mean but the training to be kind that is used to keep us leashed best." ~ Black Dog Red

"In case you haven't recognized the trend: it proceeds action, dissent, speech." ~ davidly, on how wars get done

"...What sort of meager, unerotic existence must a man live to find himself moved to such ecstatic heights by the mundane sniping of a congressional budget fight. The fate of human existence does not hang in the balance. The gods are not arrayed on either side. Poseiden, earth-shaker, has regrettably set his sights on the poor fishermen of northern Japan and not on Washington, D.C. where his ire might do some good--I can think of no better spot for a little wetland reclamation project, if you know what I mean. The fight is neither revolution nor apocalypse; it is hardly even a fight. A lot of apparatchiks are moving a lot of phony numbers with more zeros than a century of soccer scores around, weaving a brittle chrysalis around a gross worm that, some time hence, will emerge, untransformed, still a worm." ~ IOZ

May 18, 2010

Compare and Contrast

h/t Mondoweiss, top photo

3 comments:

JRB said...

Oh, the humanity!

fwoan said...

Never seen the 'first as tragedy then as farce' logic so eloquently displayed.

Jack Crow said...

My ethnic heritage means very, very little to me - and yet it still shames me to see members of the Tribe act badly.

I have to examine that bias, I guess. It also bothers me when fellow sons of Native America sign up for the armed forces. I get all the reasons why people do things, in their own personal circumstances, and yet it bothers me terribly when former victims (especially those not really removed from the worst periods of oppression) sign up for duty in the next project of oppression.

I think I keep hoping that Jews, Indians, Blacks, women, etc ought to just plain know better.

Which is stupid, on my part.

Because the point of imperialism is the colonization of the brain...